Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes

I know how hard it can be as a working mom to plan and execute healthy meals for your family. Now that I am home, I have more time to plan and prepare meals. However, I am still all about preparing meals that are easy. This week I decided to do something different with one of my challenge groups to help busy moms like you. We are doing a CROCK POT CHALLENGE. Each challenge group member is encouraged to try a clean slow cooker recipe and share with the group. I have 19 challengers. The goal at the end of the week will be to have 19 slow cooker recipes with reviews available for each member.

To hold up my end of the bargain, I have been busy researching healthy slow cooker recipes. Here are a few that I found with excellent reviews that may not be totally lean but definitely beat the Mickey Dee's drive through!!. I hope you enjoy!

Char Siu Pork Roast from Cooking Light


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
  • 1 (2-pound) boneless pork shoulder, trimmed
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth

Preparation

  1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
  2. Place pork and marinade in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
  3. Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board or work surface. Cover with aluminum foil; keep warm.
  4. Add broth to sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens. Shred pork with 2 forks; serve with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment